We have listed some hints & tips for new players here. You might want to follow them or you might want to follow your own path. That is up to you. These are just some basic things that we recommend.
- Pick some all-round race to play in your first round, especially if you are new to games like this. I recommend Baleenar.
- Get out of the Universal Protectorate as soon as possible. It has 35% tax rate which stagnates your growth quite effectively, not forgetting the fact that players in Universal Protectorate are desired targets for their obvious lack of alliance support.
- Get a decent alliance. This means that you need an alliance that has even some basic level of "organization" for communication (IRC, forums) etc. Some experience wouldn't hurt either. Also, check out the tax rate and bashing level of the alliance. The higher the bashing rate, the safer you are from the attacks of very big people. Also, keep in mind that you need to petition the leader if you want to leave a Dictatorship or Communist alliance. You can't leave those alliances without getting permission first.
- For communication, it has been proven that the best form of alliance communication is with an IRC channel, with a private forum supporting it. Get started with IRC by downloading some IRC client program like mIRC (Windows systems). For alliance forums you might want to try simple services like www.avidgamers.com to create private forums for your alliance. However, IRC should be held as priority and a lot more important than forums.
- Don't be a good target. The point is not to be an impossible target but to be a worse target than most others. This can be achieved in various ways. Putting heavy emphasis on troops and/or rippers in your army is one way. Common advice is that you should have at least 1000 excellent troops for each mine, 2000 average, or 4000 poor. If you are in a weak alliance, I would advise you to have at least twice as many per mine. After all, it comes down to the following three factors: number of your mines; score; and the strength of your alliance.
- Eventually, you will want to start attacking for mines instead of building them. Once you have started stealing mines, there is no reason to build any ever again. Remember that even though it may be safer to build mines, eventually it will be more expensive to build them.
- By raiding you can steal up to 70% (33% per tick) of a target's mines during three ticks. Remember when you are raiding to send more transports than the minimum for carrying troops. In most cases you should have at least two transports for each 1000 troops when attacking (we suggest more like 4-6).